Saturday, July 19, 2014

Conquering those Cravings on the Drive Home

Have you ever had one of those days where you ate a great breakfast and packed a great lunch, but then caved on the way home? I know I have all too often.

Anyone who knows me well knows I am a complete other person when I get hungry.  I stop functioning.  It is all I can think about.  It shouldn't be that hard to wait 15 minutes to eat until I get home, but it is. It is near impossible.  When I am hungry, I cannot resist the drive through.  

I finally had to accept that the best thing I can do is pack a snack just to eat on the drive home.  This satisfies my hunger and keeps me from caving at the drive through.  It also saves me money!

Easy Snacks to Eat on the Drive Home


1. A piece of fruit


I like to pack a banana, a sliced-up apple, or a sliced up-peach.  I prefer to eat most of my fruit sliced up.  Some fruits are too messy to eat in the car, but apples and bananas are perfect.  My favorite is probably an apple because then I don't have to worry about what to do with the banana peel.

 

2. A granola bar or protein bar


These aren't necessarily all natural, but they are a great solution when you are starving and trying to avoid fried food.  There are so many varieties, you can find something you like.  My favorite bar is the Nugo Dark Chocolate Pretzel bar. 


3. Popcorn, pretzels, or crackers


Pack a sandwich or snack baggie with your favorite popcorn, pretzels, or crackers.  These are all easy to eat in the car and better for you than french fries. 


I actually usually buy healthier crackers than Club crackers, but I did buy some of these the other day because they are just so good. 

4. Sliced veggies


You could pack a snack baggies with some carrots, celery, or bell pepper slices.  This is a snack I usually eat at work more than I do in the car because I prefer to eat raw veggies on salad or have something to dip them in like hummus, ranch, or guacamole.  However, if I pack to popcorn or pretzels than I don't mind alternating a bite of carrots/celery with a bite of pretzels or popcorn. 



5. Crackers and peanut butter or almond butter


You could pre-make some cracker sandwiches with peanut butter, almond butter, or your favorite nut butter. I keep thinking I should do this more because I used to love the pre-packaged peanut butter cracker sandwiches from the vending machine as a kid. 

6. Cheese Slices


I usually try to cut back on dairy, but you could bring string cheese or cheese slices if you eat dairy.  This is great with crackers, veggies, or an apple. 

7. Turkey Jerky or Deli-meat


Trader Joe's has some fabulous Turkey Jerky.  It is a great snack for some extra protein.  You also could pack your favorite deli meat to eat with veggies, cheese, or crackers. 

What is your favorite snack to pack for the drive home?


No comments:

Post a Comment