Friday, July 18, 2014

Tips for How to Drink More Water

You always hear that you should drink more water.  Once you start drinking water regularly, it is easy. You body will crave water.

I don't think anyone will dispute water is good for you.  We all know it is good for you...vital to survival. The issue is wanting to drink other things more than water.  Here is an infographic I found listing some of the benefits of drinking water.


Source: Pinterest

Initially though, it can seem impossible.  I grew up on Dr. Pepper.  That was what I drank.  Period.  Later, it morphed to other sodas.  But I rarely drank much else.  When I graduated college,  I started working with a personal trainer.  She told me I had to drink 80 ounces of water a day.  At first, I thought I would die.

As I learned to drink water regularly, here are some tips I learned along the way.

1. Drink water at room temperature


The first tip she suggested to me that made it easier to drink more water was to drink water  at room temperature. When water is cold, you drink small sips.  When it is room temperature, it is easier to take in more at a time.  At first it may seem strange, but you quickly get used to it.

2. Set goals and deadlines throughout the day of when to have finished a certain amount of water


I also would set deadlines for myself.  I had to drink my first 32 ounces by mid-morning. Then, I would refill my water bottle and drink the second 32 ounces before I left work.  After that, I could drink the last 16 ounces in the evening.

3. Exercise


If you exercise some most days, you will find it easy to drink water. You will need to stay hydrated, and will easily drink down at least 20 ounces.

4. Add lemon slices or cucumber to your water


This is my favorite suggestion.  I just started doing this the last few months.  I drink so much water that sometimes I just want something other than water.  However, adding cucumber, lemon, and/or mint to my water makes it taste like something other than water.  It is so refreshing on a hot day, too and very detoxifying.



5. Infuse your water with fruit


If lemon and cucumber aren't your thing, you can find lots of recipes on Pinterest for other fruit infused waters.  The possibilities are endless.


Source: Pinterest

5. Make water bottles/cups ahead of time and keep them in the fridge ready to go


If you choose to make fruit infused water or lemon water ahead of time, I suggest making some cups ahead of time and put them in the fridge.  Then, you can just grab one and you are ready to go.

5. Add a drop of lemon oil to your water bottle


If you like lemon water but are short on time or out of lemons, you can add a drop of lemon oil to your water bottle.  I like water with lemon slices over ice, but I like adding a drop of lemon oil to my water bottle I carry with me throughout the day.  Lemon oil is a nice addition to your room temperature water bottle and still very detoxifying.



1 comment:

  1. Drinking water regularly definitely has a lot of benefits. Most of them we already know, but we still lack the urge to keep ourselves properly hydrated at all times. That being said, I think these tips you’ve shared on how to drink more water is a great way to boost our craving for it. Thanks for sharing these with us, April. Have a great day!


    Judith Harvey@ Aquaperfect

    ReplyDelete